Indians are a minority in the Western World. Scratch that, I meant Indian representation is low in the Western world. There are certain stigmas and stereotypes associated with us Indians that I would like to clarify doesn’t work for all of us. We are all not the same. So why generalize? Below are a few points that I would like my fellow white people to read and grasp. Also, not all Indians worship cows and not all Indians have the accent and we all don’t do the head shake bob thing.
- I am an Indian but I can’t tolerate spicy food. My eyes, nose and ears get red. There is waterworks everywhere.
- I am an Indian and I hate bangles. They always make sure you are aware of their presence at the most inopportune moments and somehow literally feel like a load lifted by my hands.
- I am an Indian and I can survive without eating curry. Really, I can.Pasta over paneer.
- I am an Indian and a Muslim (shocker, I know).
- I am an Indian and can converse in,read, write and understand fluent Urdu.
- I am an Indian and I don’t speak Hindu (fyi Hinduism is a religion and Hindi is the national language so technically no Indian you will meet will speak Hindu and yes I do speak Hindi).
- I am an Indian and I wear an abaya instead of sari. So yeah I don’t “look” like the typical Indian.
- I am an Indian and don’t like wearing gold.
- I am an Indian but do not know how to dance Bollywood.
- I am an Indian but I don’t watch Bollywood movies.
- I am an Indian and no Shahrukh Khan is not my neighbour. Neither is Shahid Kapoor nor Salman Khan nor any other celebrity.
- I am an Indian and I don’t hate Pakistanis.
- I am an Indian and will not get forcefully married to my cousin. I guess I shall be conforming to the stereotype of an arranged marriage but neither will it be forced nor will it be with my cousin.
- I am an Indian and I live in a nuclear family.
- I am an Indian and I am not a cricket lover.
- I am an Indian and I am not an IT professional. And neither am I a doctor.
- I am an Indian and my degree is not fake.
- I am an Indian and I am not cheap/stingy. I don’t dine at restaurants because of halal issue not because I am a miser.
Yes, such Indians do exist.And yes, there are Indians who eat spicy food and can’t survive without curry. Point is : there are all types of Indians.And all are cool and awesome.